Friday 1 May 2015

A glimpse inside my studio - The Dorothy Days

Hello everyone,

A few of you on Twitter have been asking about my studio and asking for some more 'behind the scenes' photographs. I thought this was a really fun idea and so when I was taking photographs the other day of products I also took some 'behind the scenes' shots so I could share them with you all and hope this gives you a little insight into how I create the products that you see in the shop.

I don't have a proper studio but instead everything you see in my shop is made in my home in the English countryside. I often take over the kitchen table, spread out all my jewellery tools and beads, stamps and tags and get making! This is also a great place for me to take photographs of my vintage items as the light is good and it is by the window.


First things first, I always start off a making or photographing session with a cup of tea! This is usually from one of my vintage tea cups (I have quite a large collection myself). My favourite tea at the moment to drink while I am making is Earl Grey


Because I sell quite a range of products (both vintage and handmade) I think it is important to me to have a motto so that my shop stays focused. I have used this motto as my shop motto for the past few years and it works well for me. 



Whether it is the garden, the beaches nearby or the rolling hills of the English countryside, it all inspires my work.


When I am making new pieces for my shop I like to get everything out in front of me, play around with different colours and combinations.


Here I am trying to work out some new colour combinations for my necklaces. I am a very visual person so playing around with different things and trial and error is how I work out what works best for my jewellery. I often will string up necklaces and then take them totally apart and try something different until I find something that works!

Some of the latest pieces I have been working on....






As well as making jewellery and tags, I also sell vintage. Here are some photographs I took recently when I was getting ready to set up a shoot for vintage tea cups. A lot of work goes into checking the condition of all my tea cups and researching patterns and shapes etc.





Hope you have enjoyed this little glimpse into what I do and 'behind the scenes'!

The Dorothy Days Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment (it makes me smile!)

Thank you!