Saturday 8 August 2015

Style Saturday - Hats, fascinators and hair pieces

Hello!

Was trying to think of what to choose for my Style Saturday theme this week and turned to Pinterest for inspiration and found my board on hats, hair pieces and fascinators. I have not pinned to that for a while (naughty me!) but it is one of my favourite Pinterest boards.

Hats never really suit me. I always wear a bobble hat in the winter and a big floppy wide brim hat in the summer and have worn small fascinators to weddings but don't think I could pull off some of the more extravagant, 'out there' hats (although I would really love to). So, partly for this Style Saturday and partly mostly so I can indulge myself and spend some time looking at beautiful hats my Style Saturday this week is all about hats!

'A hat makes clothing identifiable, dramatic and, most importantly, fashion … It’s the cherry on the cake, the dot on the ‘i’, the exclamation mark, the fashion focus. Everyone from showgirls to dictators knows that by wearing a hat they will be centre of attention.’
Stephen Jones - Milliner


With Stephen Jones' quote in mind I started thinking who wear hats and of course it was not long before I thought of the Queen. She is nearly always photographed wearing a hat. I found this amazing video by British Pathe of some of her hats throughout the different years of her reign. They range from floral numbers to bright colours and feathered pieces and everything in between!





A few years ago (April 2009) the Victoria and Albert museum had an exhibition called Hats: An Anthology by Stephen Jones. I never got to see the exhibition but it looks amazing. The exhibition was a collaboration between the V&A and Stephen Jones, one of the fashion world's most prolific milliners. The exhibition featured some of the greatest hat designs of the time. As part of the exhibition, the V&A held a live catwalk and presented the work of Stephen Jones and five of London's most exciting new milliners including Pier Atkinson, Nasir Mazhar and Flora McLean.

I had a look at some of the photographs of the exhibition but was thrilled to find this video of the catwalk show which was called 'Fashion in Motion'.


Fashion in Motion @ the V&A: Millinery in Motion from Victoria and Albert Museum on Vimeo.

Finally, I thought I would share with you all my own Pinterest board collection which I  have  had been working on (and I promise that writing this post has inspired me to start pinning to it again so watch out for lots of new pins coming soon!). It features hats from different designers from those in high fashion to fashion grads and Etsy sellers. All are amazing and so different.

I have tried to pin a variety of different styles but got rather addicted to pinning the more 'out there' outrageous hats which are art pieces in their own right.


Follow The Dorothy Days's board Hats, fascinators and hair pieces on Pinterest.

Hope you have enjoyed reading this post

The Dorothy Days Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment (it makes me smile!)

Thank you!