Monday 14 May 2012

My first blog feature- With Natalia from Uncommonplace

Hi everyone,
I hope you are having a wonderful weekend and to those of you who are reading from the U.S.A, happy mothers day!  Here in the U.K we have had a beautifully sunny weekend and it is starting to really feel like summer. There is a huge amount of tulips which have sprung up just outside where I live and look absolutely beautiful. I went out with my camera to capture them and loved them so much it has become my new facebook background. Please click here to take a look.

As you know, I normally feature other Etsy sellers on my blog but this week I thought I would mix things up and interview Natalia from one of my favourite blogs to read, uncommon place.
Natalia is a 22 year old blogger from Idaho. Her blog is lovely to read and I especially enjoy the wedding features she does every wednesday.
Here is our interview:

What was the inspiration behind uncommonplace?
I have been blogging off and on for the last few years and Uncommonplace is actually my third blog. However, I was never content with the direction the other ones were going in and was never very inspired to write. Finally, I decided to start fresh and knew that eventually I wanted to start my own business as well. So I searched for a name that would accomodate both well, since they would be very connected. I also have always wanted just to share life and everything that inspires me. Uncommonplace encompasses all of that and will hopefully grow to bigger and better things.

Where do you see yourself and your blog in a few years time?
Honestly, I have no idea. And that is what makes it so exciting! I hope that my blog will not only give me a way of connecting with like-minded people, but also will be an inspiration to others wishing to follow their dreams. I would love for my Etsy shop (opening early next month) to still be going and thriving. Also, I am slowly trying to get my foot in the door to become an interior decorator and event planner, something that I have always had an interest in, and would love to be doing that full time! In my personal life, I have been married for two years, so I am hoping that within the next few years, we might decide to have children and enrich our lives in that way. :)

What do you hope that your readers will take away from reading your blog ?
I really just want my readers to be inspired. Not necessarily by me, I'm nothing spectacular. But mainly by the things I share. If no one is benefitting from your blog, then what is the point of even writing?

I see that you have been working on some things for your Etsy store, can you give us any more hints to what might be in store when you launch your shop?
Yes! I am so excited about this! It has been a long time coming and is finally becoming a reality. Because I do want to become an interior decorator and event planner, I thought that wedding and home accessories would be a fun and appropriate thing to sell in my shop. I have a few basic designs sketched out and have been working hard to make them a reality. I will be featuring bride and groom chair banners, word buntings, embroidery hoop art, throw pillows, and other similar things. Most will be either embroidered or will feature applique, because those things are just so fun!

How do you get yourself in the mood for creating? and in a creative mindset?
This is actually one of my biggest challenges! With a busy schedule, when I have free time, I find myself wanting to catch up on television shows or something like that. One of my biggest motivations to create is feedback from others. This may sound very self-centered, but when someone leaves a positive comment on my blog, it really inspires me to write better content. Or when someone I know tells me that they are excited for my Etsy shop to open, it forces me to be more dedicated to it. A few other things that really put me in a creative mindset are listening to music, looking up some inspiration on Pinterest or other blogs, and mixing and matching fabrics to come up with new ideas.

What do you feel your greatest skill is ?
At least on my blog, I feel that my greatest "skill" (if you can even call it that) is just being real. I don't claim to be an expert in anything. I am a self-taught sewer and embroiderer and am definitely still learning when it comes to blogging and business ownership. I just want to come along side people and encourage them in the amazing ways that I have been encouraged and share life in the process.

If you could have one super power what would it be ?
I have no idea if this qualifies as a super power or not, but I would love to have super-productivity! Haha! I am such a terrible procrastinator and never get as much done as I want/need to. So if I could be ridiculously quick and efficient, I would probably be in a much better place. :)


Please be sure to take a look at Natalia's blog.It is really enjoyable to read and her new shop when it is launched is going to be great.
Hope you enjoyed this feature and thank you all for the lovely comments which have been left on my blog this week, I have really enjoyed reading them.

The Dorothy Days Xxx

8 comments:

  1. Lovely blog! Following you back from Etsy!! :) So nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to find another blogger from the UK! Dropped in from the Etsy Blog site and invite you to follow us at www.ColdhamCuddliescalling.blogspot.com sometime soon. Will be following you, too - and, having thoroughly enjoyed your interview with Natalia, will be dropping in hers too - and wishing her well in her new enterprise. Nice to see someone so obviously happy, being busy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Her blog sounds amazing, I'm going to have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice interview. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those tulips are quite stunning! What a lovely and colourful sight; perfect for May :)

    ~Sampson and Lorrie
    Puddles & Price

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the lovely comments and thank you to those of you who have visited and become followers of Natalia :).

    Isn't her blog looking great?!

    Sampson and Lorrie- It was such a beautiful site seeing them all together, the photo is actually only a small section of them....there were even more! Lucky me to have them just outside my house.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much to Rachel for featuring me! And thanks to everyone who has visited me! Collaboration is so much fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are welcome Natalia, I had great fun :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment (it makes me smile!)

Thank you!